If Your Product Is So Data-Centric, Maybe It Should Have Data Export?

Yesterday-ish, from Justin Reich:

I was also somewhat surprised to learn that in many systems, it is actually quite difficult to get a raw dump of all of the data from a student or class. Many systems don’t have an easy “export to .csv file” option that would let teachers or administrators play around on their own. That’s a terrible omission that most systems could fix quickly.

A couple years ago, working on an LMS evaluation, I kept getting asked what reporting features each potential platform had. Can this platform generate type-of-report-X? About 8 years ago, working on a ePortfolio evaluation, the same question came up — where are the reports? Does this have report Y?

I’d always point out that we didn’t want reports, we wanted data exports and data APIs that allowed us to generate our own reports, reports that we could change as we developed new questions and theories, or launched new initiatives in need of tracking. The data solutions we’re likely to see have real impact (with no offense to Reich’s Law of Doing Stuff) are likely to come from grassroots tinkering. Data that is exportable in common formats can be processed with common tools, and solutions built in those common tools can be broadly shared. CSV-based reports developed and adopted by Framingham State can be adopted by Keene State or WSU overnight. A solution one of your physics faculty develops can be quickly applied across all entry level courses.

What you want is not “reports” but sensible, easy, and relatively unfettered access to data. And if you don’t have someone on your campus that can make sense of such data, then you need to either hire that person, or give up on the idea that a canned set of reports are going to help you. When fields are mature, canned and polished reigns. But when they are nascent (as is the field of analytics) hackability is  a necessity.

About these ads

27 Comments on “If Your Product Is So Data-Centric, Maybe It Should Have Data Export?”

1. Tom Hoffman says:

This has been an onging issue for SchoolTool, but it is not as easy as you might think to work out what a really usable dump would look like since there isn’t really a widely used specification and tools, and the data is complex and decidedly not flat.

Dozens of times I’ve had this conversation via email, which usually ends with “We don’t currently have that, but it would be relatively easy to do if we could work out the right format. How would you like to see it?” I’ve never got an answer to that question. Including in the process of writing a $30,000 bid which I submitted a few days ago.

I’m not trying to say it is impossible or not my fault, just that it is one of those “harder than it seems” issues in practice.

2. mikecaulfield says:

Thanks, Tom. If you say it’s harder than it looks, I’m inclined to take your word. (By the way, your blog is one of my favorite things on the internet. I think of you as the Duncan Black of edtech.)

On the other hand, I think there are *some* areas where a Big Dumb Table Join exported to CSV could be (fairly?) straightforward. When we did this research here:

We basically took the “logged event” table of the Stanford ed2Go platform, and wrote a join that given any set of student IDs would export a big flat (joined) list of every action logged for that student with a timestamp and what ever other data we could attach to it. Because student success on things like a quiz question would lead to logging certain pages directly after the question we were able to deduce success or failure on quiz questions and the like. That sort of join didn’t take long to put together, even coming from a point of zero knowledge of the system.

I’m guessing where things get hairier is where someone says “give me all data on student X”. That’s not going to be any sort of flat or parseable by the average person. But I’d be happy just getting joined exports from relatively granular tables — events being the most obvious, but maybe not the only one. I think you could do quite a bit just with that.

3. Tom Hoffman says:

Yeah, I was thinking I should clarify that exporting a LOT of data via CSV is easy, and we do it. The problem is more the “Can’t I just get EVERYTHING out in a CSV?” case. It IS an important problem for us though, because the big drawback of using the ZODB — an object database — instead of a relational database is you can’t just dig into tables, so it is relatively opaque outside the context of the application (or a Python script that imports a bunch of our objects).

It probably would help if we had a better sense of just what technologies our power users would be using in this kind of context. It seems like there’s a pretty big difference in what kind of format is easiest depending on whether you’re using Excel (probably most likely), SQL queries, or some kind of scripting language or R (or something else). This makes us particularly reluctant to guess what the best format is ourselves.

And thanks, Atrios is definitely my biggest influence, blogging-wise.

4. What’s up to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this website,
    and your views are goood desiggned for new viewers.

5. Removing the toxins has been very effective low pain relief for many patients.
    Patients can also take the advice of a good physiotherapist who
    can devise customized exercises to the patient in order to strengthen the back.
    These are the signs that ring warning bell of damage we are causing to our body.

6. I’ve been browsing online more than three hours today,
    yet I never found any interesting article like
    yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content
    as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever
    before.

7. This is a task you may be able to get some references for so it is
    a good idea to chat to friends and see if they can help you out.
    Compensation for your injuries is one thing but knowing that justice can be rightly served is priceless.
    An accident lawyer can help you avoid making a hasty decision to settle for less than you should.

8. May I just say what a comfort to discover someone
    that truly knows what they are discussing over the internet.

You actually realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    More people need to read this and understand this side of
    the story. I can’t believe you’re not more popular because you surely have the gift.

9. decks says:

It could carry out a comparison between prices of online shipping and levels of employment or other
    factors such as; preferences, consumption,
    preferences, buying, selling and value of money. Some sites require you to pay
    the fee when you try to contact others. For those people living under a rock
    it was set up in 1998 and it owns the popular traffic volume monitoring application and site Alexa.

10. Very good site you have here but I was curious about
    if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics discussed here?
    I’d really love to be a part of online community
    where I can get feed-back from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

11. This design is spectacular! You definitely know how to keep a reader entertained.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well,
    almost…HaHa!) Excellent job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

12. Casino says:

I’m no longer sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic.
    I needs to spend a while studying much more or figuring out more.
    Thanks for great information I was looking for this information for my mission.

13. Hi there, this weekend is good designed for me, for the reason that this point
    in time i am reading this fantastic educational post here at my home.

14. Ayone who sayѕ that Facebook, Twitter, Μy – Space, etc aге a ‘trend’ that ѡill soon pass јust isn’t steering үou inside right direction. Ƭell these potentiial customers with plenty of forethought աherе your next art show, craft market or gallery ѕhowing will Ƅe.

Tɦat’s the easiest method tߋ confuse yolur site visitors ɑnd make that it is hard foг them to locate іnformation.

15. always i used to read smaller articles or reviews which also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this paragraph
    which I am reading now.

16. Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?
    I have a blog based on the same ideas you discuss and would
    love to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience
    would enjoy your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.

17. Dannielle says:

Again, always ensure the bunk bed configuration for larger families of more than on child.
    You can even use the drawers to keep the bowl and
    screw it in place using one screw for every single one
    of those people.

18. Chun says:

Stewart said In many cases, it can be broken down into particular
    countries. Jimmy Choo PumpsIn 2005, it has not been associated
    with the question and as such, his regard for your time. By July
    1st, 2011, I took the year-so-far total to 528, 000
    depending on what they wish to be able to go
    that route. Chen’s new strategy without changing permanent list prices last June.
    Other legal nurse consulting, etc. Hearts will begin to pay the sales person. Increasingly, investors should watch out for a positive impact on your requirement.

19. Michele says:

If you are going for most excellent contents like
    myself, simply pay a visit this site everyday as it presents feature contents, thanks

20. Good info. Lucky me I came across your site by chance (stumbleupon).
    I have saved as a favorite for later!

21. Yes! Finally someone writes about best natural body acne treatment.

22. Great blog you have here.. It’s hard to find high quality writing like yours
    nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you!

Take care!!

23. You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I
    in finding this matter to be actually something which I believe I might never understand.

It kind of feels too complicated and very extensive for me.
    I’m having a look ahead on your next submit, I will attempt to get the hold of it!

24. Hi there colleagues, its fantastic piece of writing concerning cultureand fully defined, keep it up all the time.

25. What i don’t realize is if truth be told how you are
    now not really a lot more neatly-appreciated than you might be right now.

You are very intelligent. You understand thus considerably in relation to this topic, made
    me individually believe it from numerous various angles.
    Its like women and men don’t seem to be interested until it is one thing to do with Woman gaga!
    Your personal stuffs nice. At all times take care of it up!

26. cox login says:

This text is invaluable. When can I find out more?

27. Its not my first tome too pay a quick visit this site, i aam browsing this website dailly andd geet good data from here all the time.