Curatorial Teaching

Finally got around to listening to this. It’s good. It’s nascent, but maybe that’s why I love it so much:

It’s not a total solution to the sage-on-the-stage v. guide-on-the-side but it’s a great rethinking, and it’s very practical to implement.

It’s also refreshing that Siemens approach is not kick-against-the-pricks* (an approach I’m often guilty of) — his approach respects that there is not here a complete historical break with previous teaching, but an accenting of things that were always a part of good instruction, and now need to be accentuated because of the realities of a highly networked world.

*Note on the phrase “kick against the pricks”: Since it seems this phrase is less known than I thought….”Kick against the pricks” is a Biblical phrase meaning roughly “rebel against authority despite immense pain”. It comes from a metaphor involving oxen and sharp pointy sticks. Kicking against the pricks represents an ideological yet futile rebellion against authority for the sake of doing the right thing, rather than out of hope of possible success.

It comes to me not through the Bible, but through the awesomeness of Nick Cave.

About these ads

16 Comments on “Curatorial Teaching”

1. Russ Cobb says:

Checked this out after you mentioned it today. I’d like to hear – or see – a more detailed example of an actual course or lesson taught with this method. I always get lost in that gap between teaching theory and practice.

It reminds me a little of the cooperative learning movement that was in vogue when I was in grad school, where the teacher facilitates small groups, gives them a project to do and stands back in a support role. In an online classroom, however, it seems like the student has more responsibility to participate since the teacher isn’t standing over their shoulder to make sure they’re engaged. If the student doesn’t participate, how does it affect the rest of the lesson/students?

Interesting.

2. whoah this weblog is magnificent i like studying your
    posts. Stay up the great work! You know, lots of people
    are searching around for this info, you can aid them greatly.

3. Carry out a thorough verify of the aforementioned factors
    and only then, strike the offer. You can actually look for this plan on the internet.
    It transforms into an smart gadget and features like a robotic in
    your palm.

4. Christiane says:

Yes! Jailbreak is a easy and secure as well. It
    is a clip that attaches the Iphone to your
    belt, dealing with inwards or outwards. Come on, attempt hanging on to your busted,
    old phone for a few months much more.

5. I’ll immediately snatch your rss feed as I can not to find
    your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service.

Do you’ve any? Please allow me know in order that I
    may just subscribe. Thanks.

6. Windows 7 purports to fix most of the problems observed in Vista.

Windows 7 Property Standard is for the value priced pcs.
    Acknowledge it and then press the repair version to be run by the ‘R’ key.

7. Samantha says:

Llamadas y mensajes de correo electrónico , posiblemente, tenían el poder de crear más de un ataque
    de pánico general. La promoción para la actualización comercial y digitales termina el 31 de enero de 2013.
    Rev desinstalador se puede tener @ http://www.revouninstaller.com .

8. carat stone says:

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say excellent blog!

9. The game play is fairly simple-but it excels at its hiphop imagination. Different gangs have Apples and AK’s although Grove Street have nothing.
    Game play resembles all gta brands that are other.

10. There iss certainly a lot to learn about this topic.
    I love all the points you’ve made.

11. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This piece of writing posted at this site is in fact nice.

12. Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your website in web explorer,
    may test this? IE still is the marketplace leader
    and a huge component of people will leave out your great writing due to this
    problem.

13. urgoto.in says:

If you want to take control of your body again, then try the Venus Factor.
    POSITION OF JUPITER IN VIRGO ASCENDANT IN NINTH PLACE.
    If your stone loses its shine or becomes scratched, bring it
    back to an opal cutter.

14. Marshall says:

No customer likes to be turned away from a business establishment because of the way they are dressed.
    And, it is this time of the year when swimwear becomes an essential buy, especially for
    women. Not only does it fold up for easy packing, it is also
    incredibly light.

15. If you are going for a dive, you can wear leg suits.
    Newport News offers 37 different Shape – Fx slimming swimsuit designs in a broad range of colors and fabric patterns.
    If you wish to look for the finest quality swimwear items at the prices
    that you can afford, then you may visit over website.